Sunday 14 November 2010

Review: Welcome to my World - Miranda Dickinson

Welcome to My WorldClose your eyes and imagine the world is your oyster...

And now imagine never seeing it. Welcome to Harriet Langton's world. All her life she's dreamt of travelling the globe - fate always got in the way.

Working as a travel agent, the closest Harri comes to her dream destination of Venice is booking the trip for someone else. But everything changes when travel fanatic Alex drops in.

With her boyfriend Rob tied up with work, Harri is persuaded to help Alex in his quest for love. But in her attempts to help, Harri soon discovers that she's alienating those around her.

Desperate to leave her life behind, will her dreams finally come true? Or will Harri's leap of faith be her biggest mistake yet?

The story of Welcome to my World follows the events that lead to Harriet having locked herself in a toilet cubicle, which is where we find her at the start of the book. Each chapter starts with a little more to add to this present part of the story, while the rest of the chapter carries on with the past goings on. Harri is a travel agent in a small town, who's never travelled out of the country - she has a variety of excuses for not having done so: not wanting to go alone, her boyfriend Rob preferring to holiday in the UK and so on. Harri's best guy friend, Alex, has more than made up for this, having travelled all over the world before returning to the town to open up a coffee shop. A large aspect of the story is about Harri trying to help Alex find his ideal girlfriend by placing an ad in a magazine.

While the book is well written, I found it kind of dull. Most of the time it seemed like nothing was happening, or at least nothing very exciting. There was lots of random things described throughout that as far as I could see weren't all that relevent to the plot. When it came to plot points, I felt they were all very predictable and I would have liked an element of surprise. There was lots of character development going on to the degree that I felt like I knew way too much about even the minor characters - and there were a lot of them. Despite this though, I didn't find myself warming to any of them particularly. Harri annoyed me a little because she was kind of pathetic - which was probably the point but I prefer a character I can relate to and like rather than wanting to yell "for gods sake, just get a grip."

Although this book wasn't really for me, I think that others will probably like it and it made for easy light reading. If you're like action and a strong female lead you should probably look elsewhere.

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails