Saturday 26 June 2010

Review: Hush Hush - Becca Fitzpatrick

Hush, Hush
For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life. (Goodreads)


Hush Hush was an enjoyable read. I've not read many books with angels in so for me it was a nice change. I particularly liked the fallen angel aspect which gave the story some edge to it.

I found there were a few similarites to Twilight, particularly towards the start of the book. As a non-Twilight fan, this may have annoyed me more than it actually did were it not for the fact the writing in Hush Hush was considerably better and the plot was way more interesting. Also Nora wasn't as whiny and pathetic as Bella.

Brief character analysis (as characters make or break a book for me): While not my favourite lead character in a book, Nora was alright. I'm not sure I particularly loved her but I definitely didn't dislike her - even though, as ever in these kinds of books, she did make some stupid decisions. Nora's best friend, Vee, did annoy me sometimes. However, in her defence (and without giving away any spoilers) there was a reason she did the things that annoyed me and when this was revealed I decided she wasn't so bad after all. Patch, the bad boy transfer student, is one of those love him or hate him type characters (personally I always love a bad boy!) but either way, he's a great character in the book. You can never quite work out if he's the bad guy acting good or a good guy acting bad and that's what makes him interesting. He's unpredictable, arrogant and adorable all at the same time!

I really liked that it wasn't obvious where the plot was going and it kept me changing my mind about what I thought was going to happen, making me want to keep reading when I knew I really should have been going to sleep. All in all a recommended read for fans of the genre.

Other reviews of this book:

Book Sanctuary
Michelle and Leslie's Book Picks
An Addicted Book Reader
A Small Accomplishment

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails