Saturday 15 May 2010

Review: The Sky is everywhere - Jandy Nelson

The Sky Is Everywhere
Seventeen-year-old Lennie Walker, bookworm and band geek, plays second clarinet and spends her time tucked safely and happily in the shadow of her fiery older sister, Bailey. But when Bailey dies abruptly, Lennie is catapulted to center stage of her own life—and, despite her nonexistent history with boys, suddenly finds herself struggling to balance two. Toby was Bailey’s boyfriend; his grief mirrors Lennie’s own. Joe is the new boy in town, a transplant from Paris whose nearly magical grin is matched only by his musical talent. For Lennie, they’re the sun and the moon; one boy takes her out of her sorrow, the other comforts her in it. But just like their celestial counterparts, they can’t collide without the whole wide world exploding
. (Goodreads)

The Sky is Everywhere isn't the kind of book I would usually choose to read (what no supernatural beings? lol) so initially I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it. Fortunately I did! Yay! The writing was good and the characters well developed. I liked that although Bailey is dead before the start of the book we still get to know her and get a good feel for the relationship between her and Lennie (and also her and Toby). I liked that the adults were real and present unlike in a lot of YA fiction.

While I liked the idea  in general of Lennie's poetry and that she writes it on any surface she has to hand, I did get a little bored of reading it at the start and end of chapters. This was probably just personal preference though. I don't particularly like poetry/verse/lyrics etc in stories and I tend to skip over them.

This is a good book which deals with grief and romance and the conflict between the two.

Other Reviews of this book:

The Library Lurker
In Which a Girl Reads
Off My Bookshelf
With A Good Book
The Book Scout

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails