Thursday 16 September 2010

Review: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Second Book of the Hunger Games)Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.


My review of The Hunger Games

*possible spoilers of the first book*

Before I started Catching Fire I wasn't really sure where the author would take this book. I thought it would be weird if it was just another round of the Hunger Games but at the same time, that was such a huge part of the first book, it wouldn't seem right without it. I was really impressed with how it was done though, including the games but making it completely different, totally changing the atmosphere in the arena.

In the first book I felt like I got to know Katniss and Peeta really well but not so much with the other characters. However, in this book I became more attached to the secondary characters. I actually started to like Haymitch! He was a great character in the first book but I couldn't quite like him but he grew on me through this one. Cinna was so adorable, especially right before Katniss goes back into the arena. (I won't say any more so as not to spoil)

I read Catching Fire straight after The Hunger Games so I was glad that there wasn't too much recapping of the story as it really bugs me when the first couple of chapters are essentially just telling me what I already know. I also liked that the action seemed to step up a notch compared to the first book.

I can't wait to read Mockingjay as soon as I get my hands on it!

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails